A cup of tea blended with herbs is certainly a recommended remedy especially since drinking tea is such a regular habit in one’s life. Right from aiding weight loss to preventing cancer, herbal teas are enjoyed all over the world. Herbal teas are some of the best natural therapies for treating skin ailments, indigestion, headaches, flu and so much more. Here are the top 5 herbal teas that you should be implementing in your daily diets, along with their awesome health benefits –
1. Green Tea
Popular Types: Sencha, Gunpowder, Green Top, White Cloud
Ingredients: Green Tea provides amazing health benefits and the sole reason for that is the presence of polyphenols and flavonoids. Moreover, polyphenols constitute around 20-45% weight of the Green Tea. Alongside polyphenol induced green tea leaves one can also combine vinegar or lemon or honey to make it taste better. Green tea also comes packed with enriching herbs and spices.
- If any beverage was to be named as the healthiest beverage on planet earth then Green tea would be the undisputed champion. Green tea comes loaded with powerful antioxidants and enriching nutrients in turn offering a plethora of health benefits.
- Owing to the presence of several bioactive compounds, Green tea reduces aging and supplies your body with considerable amounts to antioxidants lowering various health risks such as cancer, diabetes, cardio-vascular diseases and many brain related diseases. Another added benefit of green tea is weight loss.
- The vital flavonoids and proteins found in green tea improve body metabolism and aid in fat absorption and burning reducing weight of an individual. Besides physical benefits, Green tea is said to elevate brain functioning due to caffeine, a stimulant which induces brain growth.
2. Ginger Tea
Popular Types: Honey-Ginger Tea, Turmeric Ginger Tea
Ingredients: Ginger tea is the most basic and simplest type of herbal tea to make. All you need is a ginger root commonly called ginger. Apart from ginger one can also add lemon and honey to compliment the flavor of ginger tea.
- Second after green tea, ginger tea also offers a horde of health benefits. And it is anything but natural for ginger tea to extend such extraordinary advantages. After all, the main ingredient in ginger tree is ginger root, an herb well renowned in the field of science and medicine as a force to be reckoned with. Check out University of Michigan’s detailed analyses of ginger’s health benefits.
- One of the most essential benefits that Ginger extends is fighting cancer. Scientists and their researches also agree that people who consume ginger tea have excellent carcinogenic fighting antibodies thereby fighting all forms of cancer in an effective manner. Ginger tea is also beneficial for people suffering from brain syndrome such as Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. It is believed that Ginger tea induces brain function improving your mindset and psyche.
- The list of benefits provided by Ginger tea is ever increasing and the next one on the list if weight loss. Ginger tea is believed to stimulate appetite, improve your digestive system and body metabolism. Moreover, Ginger tea is said to increase glucose levels and instill energy. Meanwhile, Ginger tea also plays a pivotal role in improving blood circulation and immunoglobulins.
3. Rooibos Tea
Popular Types: Mint, Vanilla, Caramel, Chamomile, Tiramisu
Ingredients: Popularly known as red tea, Rooibos tea consists of tea leaves from AspalathusLinearis (Red Bush). Other ingredients required to brew a hot cup of rooibos tea are sugar and milk. Unlike other tea, rooibos tea is often consumed with milk rather than water. However, for all those who to prefer to drink it without adding sugar or milk, can added a tad bit of honey and enjoy the refreshing nutty flavor of the rooibos tea.
- Rooibos tea complements and extends almost the same set of benefits equivalent to green tea and ginger tea. However, the sweet taste coupled with prominent nutrients makes it a popular choice among the crowd. Rooibos tea contains polyphenols such as flavonoids. Anti-oxidants can also be found in rooibos tea in large amounts. These anti-oxidants housed in rooibos thwart feel radicals which cause cell damage thereby preventing all sorts of cancer.
- People suffering from respiratory diseases like asthma can feel relieved upon consuming Rooibos tea. Rooibos tea is a bronchodilator, a substance that dilates the bronchi and bronchioles, thereby making breathing easier. Besides, respiratory diseases, rooibos tea also prevents occurrence of arthritis and atheroschelorsis. Also the presence of manganese, calcium and fluoride promote strengthening of bones and teeth. Apart from such extraordinary benefits, rooibos tea also smoothens and improves your skin alleviating several skin related problems revitalizing it.
- Pacific College of Oriental Medicine has detailed the rejuvenating and depression-combating marvels of Rooibos tea; check out.
4. Oolong Tea
Popular Types: Single Bush, Iron Goddess, Gold Turtle, Sikkim Temi, Assam Smoked
Ingredients: Oolong tea is derived from the mixture of leaves, buds and stems of the Camellia sinensis plant. While people generally tend to blend the oolong tea extract with lemon of vinegar, one can even add honey extract for better taste and texture. It contains the second highest concentration of antioxidants after green tea that helps boosts metabolism.
- Oolong tea more or less has a few similar properties to black tea. The only difference being that oolong tea is partially fermented and black tea is fully fermented. Another significant characteristic of oolong tea is caffeine which is responsible for a plethora of health, skin and hair benefits. Research worldwide suggests that oolong tea can sharpen analytical and tactical abilities of one’s mind.
- Tooth decay caused by bacteria can be prevented by consumption of oolong tea as antioxidants found in oolong tea are deemed as the best inhibitors of bacterial and fungal infections. Oolong tea also acts an anti-aging agent for the skin owing to the presence of polyphenols and flavonoids. Minerals such as zinc and selenium improve skin vitality helping you get rid of wrinkles, dark spots and pimples.
- Besides, skins benefits, oolong tea also extends support for hair benefits. All the antioxidants and proteins found in large amount in oolong tea prevent hair fall and hair damage. Other than these benefits oolong tea ca ward off various diseases and body fat. Hence, it also acts as a weight loss recipe for many people.
5. Peppermint Tea
Popular Types: Single Bush, Iron Goddess, Gold Turtle, Sikkim Temi, Assam Smoked
Ingredients: Peppermint tea is an herbal tea often made from infusing peppermint and is therefore, called mint tea also. For enthusiasts peppermint tea can also be consumed post blending it with lime or apple cider vinegar.
- Peppermint tea is caffeine free and hence, you may assume that it would expend only a limited health benefits. Well, you couldn’t be more wrong. Peppermint tea does offer a wide variety of health benefits. Peppermint is utilized for producing peppermint oil which is a vital ingredient to treat IBS. Consuming the herb in the form of tea also reduces urinary tract infections in women.
- In their research paper ‘A review of the bioactivity and potential health benefits of peppermint tea (Mentha piperita L.)‘, authors McKay and Blumberg have analyzed and explained the antiviral, antitumor, and anti-allergic properties of peppermint tea.
- Peppermint oil also acts an effective alternative to drugs in order to reduce to colonic spasms and abdominal pain. It also curbs gastric distress and cleans the entire digestive track along with intestinal track. Peppermint tea is most advised from women who have recently turned mothers because it helps ease nipple pain associated with breast feeding.
- Moreover, Peppermint tea also prevents one from chronic diseases such as tuberculosis, allergic rhinitis, shingles, arthritis, cancer and mental disorders. It also treats stomach inflammation, headache, stress and gas. Compounds found in peppermint oil are believed to treat asthma and other respiratory diseases. Muscle and joint pains can also be efficiently treated by means of Peppermint tea.