Toenail fungal is also known as Onychomycosis. It is a very rampant problem. It is a fungal infection, which affects nail especially between the toes. It can be persistent and embarrassing sometimes. The condition arise due to certain conditions such as abnormal pH levels of the skin, weak immune system, regular exposure to a moist environment including sweaty shoes and wet socks, poor hygiene and diabetes.
The following are the causes of toenail fungus:
- The overgrowth of fungi in, under, or on the nail
- There are fungi that cause jock itch and ringworms have been found to be among the causes of toenail fungi.
- The fungi already present in your body have the potential to the eruption of toenail fungi.
There are quite a number of symptoms related to this disease. Its symptoms include the following:
- Thickness and nail crumbing
It is important to keep in mind that it is not painful unless it has become chronic. If the condition is untreated, it can lead to toe cracking, splitting, or permanent loss of toenail. This is why most people suffering from this condition always seek quick medical attention. The best thing is that you can even try some suggested and effective home remedies to get rid of Toenail Fungus.
Home Remedies for Toenail Fungus
1. Tea Tree Oil
It is the natural home remedy used to cure toe fungal infection. It contains antiseptic and antifungal properties. The procedure is simple and effective, just mix a few drops of tea tree oil with teaspoon of olive oil. Apply the mixture to the infected areas using cotton ball. Wait for ten minutes and then scrub off gently using a toothbrush. Repeat the exercise for at least 2-3 times daily.
2. Apply Cider Vinegar
It is acidic in nature hence help prevent toenail fungus from spreading further. It also kills fungus and bacteria, which causes the infection. Add equal amount of apple cider vinegar with water and soak your infected area inside this mixture for at least 30 minutes. Dry your toenail thoroughly. You can also try mixing an antifungal exfoliating scrub with ground rice flour and Apple cider vinegar. Scrub the infected area with the paste. Try this daily at least for two weeks for better results. The mixture will help you eliminate skin dead cells making your skin soft.
3. Baking Soda
It is an excellent home remedy for curing toenail fungus and it is a good foot neutralizer because it prevents foot odor. The process is simple, mix ½ cup of baking soda, 1.4 cup of 3% hydrogen and ½ cup of Epsom salt to 4 cups of water. Soak the infected area inside the mixture for 10 minutes. Rinse it with clean water and dry your foot perfectly. Repeat the exercise two times daily for at least many weeks. Alternatively, you mix water with baking soda alone.
4. Listerine Mouthwash
The compound contains substances such as alcohol, which acts as strong antiseptic, which prevents dangerous bacteria and fungi hence good for treating the nail fungus. Mix water with Listerine mouthwash and then soak your toe inside the solution for at least 30 minutes. Wash off and dry the affected area thoroughly. Try this once daily to cure the infection.
5. Oil of Oregano
The oil contains antiseptic, antibacterial, antilegestic, antiviral and antifungal features. It is the best remedy for curing fungal. Mix two drops of the oil with a teaspoon of olive oil, use the mixture on the infected area, leave it for 30 minutes, then wash off, and try your toe. Repeat it several times daily for better results.
6. White Vinegar
It is the best ingredient for treating fungus infection because it helps in fighting the infection hence restoring the skin PH. Mix white vinegar with two cups of warm water. Soak the infected toe in the solution for 10 minutes, then wash off, and try it thoroughly. For best results repeat the process until the fungus is eliminated.
7. Lemon Juice
It contains antiseptic and antifungal properties. The citric acid available in lemon juice is good for preventing toenail fungus from spreading. Apply the fresh lemon juice on the toe and wait for 30 minutes before washing it off with warm water. You can also massage the infected area with a mixture of lemon juice and olive oil. Olive oil is good for softening skin while lemon juice helps inhibit the fungal infection.
It contains the allicin and ajoene properties, which are antifungal, and helps cure fungus. You can also eat the crushed garlic cloves daily. Mix white vinegar with garlic oil and then apply the mixture on the infected toes. Try this daily until the infection clears off.
9. Orange Oil
It contains antifungal properties which treats nail toe fungus, it is believed that orange oil has side effects and allergies therefore mix with a little of water before using it. Use a dropper to put orange oil in between the toes, people with sensitive skin should dilute it. Leave for 30 minutes before removing it. For better results, use it daily.
10. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil has many volatile compounds and antiseptic properties, which prevents and fights fungal infection and minimizes skin irritation. Add five drops of lavender oil with tea tree oil. Apply it using cotton ball on the edge of the infected area. Leave it for at least 10 minutes before washing it away. Dry your nail toe thoroughly and repeat the same process daily.
11. Coconut Oil
It contains fatty acid, which is good for cell disintegration and destroys the fungus. It works faster because it protects the membrane from being destroyed by fungus. It also acts as natural fungicides. Rub the oil onto the area and leave it to be absorbed into the skin for some time. Wash it off and do it daily for quick treatment.
12. Olive Leaf Extract
It contains all the natural compounds, which are responsible for killing virus, bacteria, fungus and protozoa. It destroys the fungus from the inside, making your skin soft and clean.
13. Gelatine, Silica, Biotin, Vitamin C and Fatty Acid
These substances help keep your nails and skin healthy and are the best nutrients for healthy and shiny nails. They help to get rid of fungus from growing on your nail toes.
14. Vicks and Vapor Rub
Vicks contain three incredible ingredients such as camphor, menthol and Eucalyptus, which are the best skin anesthetic. They are responsible for preventing fungus from growing and they are good skin softeners. They are also effective for treating fungal infections. Apply Vicks on the infected area for some time. For better results use it daily until the affected area dries and the infection clears off.
How to avoid Toe Nail Fungus
- See a podiatrist as well as your doctor. You should never assume that your doctor alone knows about everything really.
- Get only topical products with proven results if you feel you must get some.
- Always remember to change your socks every day. Buy at least five pairs for the week.
- Do use open sandals in public places, walking on barefoot will only make the problem worsen.
- Do eat a balanced diet on a daily. You cannot heal an infection without the help of your body.
- You should be consistent with the treatment option you choose. Keep using that regularly until there is no more nail fungus.
- Make sure you moisturize the skin. It is necessary that you maintain an appropriate moisture balance even as you continue with the treatment.
- Always use straight edge clippers to cut your nails. You end up reducing the risks of ingrown toenails when you cut straight through.
- Understand that your feet need to breath. In this case, do ear breathable shoes if you feel uncomfortable in sandals or open shoes.
- Buy more than one pair of sandals or more than one pair of breathable shoes.
- Ensure your shoes are clean before wearing.
- Do not wear any nail polish at this time.
- You must never keep your feet wet or untidy.
- Never forget to wash your feet thoroughly at least three times a day. You want to heal, so this is one of those only ways to heal quickly.
- Do not share your nail tools, even with your best friend.
- Avoid nail polish if you have discolored feet.
- Do not forget to let your feet breath.
- Do not share any personal effects with anyone in the house.