Wax in our ears serves important functions such as the body’s defensive mechanism. It traps dirt as well as foreign particles and it inhibits the growth of bacteria. The wax prevents damages to our inner ear like the eardrum. Removing earwax constantly should be avoided but sometimes it is good to get rid of excess wax in order to reduce ear blockage.
- Narrowing of the ear canal
- Less production of cerumen
- Over production of cerumen, usually due to trauma or the blockage of the ear canal.
Common Earwax Symptoms
- Loss of hearing
- Ear twinge
- Plugged or fullness sensation
- Ringing in the ear
Natural Home Remedies for Removal Ear Wax
1. Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide is a mixture of water and extra oxygen, which is good for softening the wax. It is an excellent ear disinfectant, which will keep your ear from all sorts of infections. The remedy is simple and the procedure does not take long. Mix equal amount of hydrogen peroxide and water and soak the cotton ball inside the solution. Pour the solution inside by squeezing the cotton, wait for some time and then tilt your head on the opposite direction in order for the solution to drain off your ear.
2. Saline Water/Salt
Hard earwax is difficult to fall off but with saline water, which contains ingredients that will soften the wax can help get rid of it for sure. Mix salt and water. Tilt your head sideways and pour saline solution inside using soaked cotton ball. Remain in that position for sometime in order for hard wax to soften then tilt your head in different direction in order for the wax to come out with saline water.
3. Olive Oil
Olive oil contains effective ingredients responsible for softening hard wax in the ears. You can get olive oil from any grocery store nearby. You should apply fresh olive oil because it contains bactericidal properties, which helps with fighting infection. Fill the dropper with warm olive oil, pour the drops inside your ear and relax for some time before draining it off. If your wax is so hard, repeat it for 2 weeks for better results.
4. Baby Oil
This oil is rich in mineral oil and it is a byproduct of petroleum. It has a hydrocarbon compound, and liquid petroleum with white mineral. It is an excellent moisturizing and lubricating agent, which helps soften earwax. Apply it using soaked cotton ball to dropper. Tilt your head in order to keep your affected area upwards. Drain off the wax into the towel. Rub alcohol into the ear to dry the ear hence preventing the growth of bacteria. Baby oil is effective remedy to get rid of excess ear wax.
It contains moisturizing and lubricating properties making it an excellent wax remover. It softens hard wax making it easy to remove. It is advisable to dilute with water because of it viscosity. It is the safest earwax remover. Adding water on the glycerin makes it thinner which is good in order to penetrate deeply hence softening the wax under the ear. Simply mix Glycerin with water and use a dropper to squeeze into the ear, use a clean dry towel to remove water. Also, rub alcohol in order to remove the moisture hence drying it.
6. Garlic Oil
It is a natural remedy because of its antibiotics, which has allicin, and anti microbial agents. Allicin helps fight and prevent infection between the inner and middle ear. The oil is made by mixing oil with garlic, which softens earwax, and properties that help curb infection hence preventing any pain associated with wax removal process.
7. Prepare Mullein Oil
Doctors treat ear infections and ear deafness using mullin herb. Mullin plant extract contains amazing mullein features, which are responsible for softening deep impacted wax in the ear. It helps to unblock ear enabling you to hear perfectly. If you are suffering from ear pain resulting from wax buildup, mullein drops is the best remedy for you. With excellent antibacterial, antispasmodic and inflammatory features, it will help you remove penetrated earwax inside your ear. Repeat the procedure daily for better results.
8. Ear Flush With Warm Water
If you are, facing problems concerning earwax buildup instead of visiting the doctor constantly you can try a mild ear flush with warm water at home. Warm water helps you soften hard and prevent dust particles. Wash your ears with warm after 2 days especially after applying any oil remover in your ear. Pour warm water inside the tilted ear. Tilt your head after some time so that water may drain out the ear.
9. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil helps you remove hardened wax inside the ear. It contains medium fatty acid, which acts like sebum. It also contain natural anti microbial agent, which is harmless thus reducing the risk of your ear getting infected. It is used to kill several harmful microorganisms that cause wax buildup. Fill the dropper with coconut oil, squeeze the oil inside your ear, and relax for sometimes. Tilt your head at the opposite direction for the wax to drain off.
It is an important home remedy especially if your ear is painful because of buildup wax. White vinegar softens the wax and it also help in balancing PH levels in your ear hence reducing irritation symptoms. Mix vinegar with water and hydrogen peroxide before applying it. Repeat the exercise daily for better results.
11. Almond Oil
The oil acts as a lubricant and softener making it easy to clear and remove buildup wax in the ear. Fill the dropper with almond oil; squeeze five drops of oil inside your ear. Remain tilted for 10- 15 minutes to give time for oil to soak the harden wax. Place a dry towel over the oiled ear and tilt it to face the other side to drain out the extra oil.
12. Baking Soda
It is an excellent home remedy for removing hard and excess wax. Mix baking soda with water and pour inside your ear, it will help you soften the wax. Use a dropper to put many drops of solution in the affected area. Relax for ten minutes and then flush water gently into the ear. Clean your outer ear with a soft cloth. Repeat this several times for better results.
13. Omega 3 Fatty Acid
The main cause of excessive earwax production is lack of omega 3 fatty acid, which helps prevent too much accumulation of wax inside your ear. Take high amount of omega 3 supplements. Eat other foods rich in omega 3 such as salmon, sardines cod liver oil and walnut diet.
14. Homeopathic Ear
It is an effective home remedy available in the market, similasan’s ear wax relief which helps reduce chronic ear wax blockage hence softening the harden ear wax.
15. Rub Alcohol Solution
Mix vinegar and alcohol in a mug, pour few drops into the ear buildup wax. The solution will help you reduce of the earwax, which can cause irritation. It is the best way of softening earwax hence making easy to drain off wax.
How to keep Earwax blockage away?
- You need to seek medical attention if your ears are hurting. Consult your physician if you feel your ears are plunged up.
- You should use baby oil at home from time to time if your body has the tendency to build up wax on your ears.
- Visit your physician regularly for some tips on how to take care of and maintain the health of your ears.
- Do go to your doctor and have them use drops on your ears. This will make the earwax quite easy to remove.
- Seek immediate medical help should you feel that your ears are getting stuffy by day. You may also feel some itching in the canal part of the ear or some sort of ear discharge. Please rush to your doctor for further help on cases such as these.
- Do not want until it is too late to seek medical attention. It is important that you seek medical evaluation should you notice any abnormal feeling or reactions in your ears.
- Do not use hot water to wash your ears. This will hurt the sensitive skin in the ears as well as the eardrums.
- Do not use hairpins, matchsticks or safety pins to get rid of the earwax.
- You must never use cotton swabs in the ears.
- Do not put any Q-tips in the ear.
- Do not spray anything in the ear. Doing this may end up harming the sensitive skin in the ear as well as the eardrum.
- Never use directly hydrogen peroxide in your ears. You could cause further damage to the ears by doing so.
- Never use ear candles. They do not work. In addition, they are likely to cause injuries to your ears.
- Do not buy any product that claim to remove earwax. Seek medical guidance instead on how to clean your earwax because it is more of an hygiene issue.