Root canal refers to a canal at the center of a tooth that is the living tissue that keeps the tooth alive. When this tissue is infected due to deep tooth decay, large filling done on one tooth or maybe root fracture. This as a result causes inflammation of the pulp, which includes blood vessels, nerves and connective tissues that leads to swelling and adding of pressure inside the tooth. This leads to serious toothache. There are several home remedies to treat root canal pain that one can use to relief and sometimes cure that pain.
- One begins to develop monetary sensitivity to cold or hot foods
- There is sharp pain felt by the patient when biting down the food on the teeth
- Feeling sensitive to hot and cold foods after a dental implant
- Some lingerie pain that lasts long, usually 30 seconds after having a bit of cold or hot meal
- Swelling of one’s gums
- One becomes completely sensitive to touch
- You are likely to feel pressure in the upper teeth and jaw
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Root Canal Pain
1. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is one that is used widely to effectively remove scars and also treats acne. Additionally it is also used to treat root canal pain. Just put a few drops of the oil in a glass of slightly warm water and gargle it for some minutes and the pain will be gone.
2. Use Salt Water
Salt water may be simple but is a very helpful remedy for quite a number of conditions and that includes relieving root canal pain. Put one tablespoon of table salt into a glass of warm water. Stir the solution and then use it to rinse your mouth. Hold the water in your mouth for few minutes occasionally gargling it to draw the water mostly around the tooth with root canal for effective results.
3. Use of Cucumber
Simply place a piece of cucumber on the affected tooth for some minutes. The cucumber’s coolness soothes and relieves pain and its juice cures the canal.
4. Onion and Garlic Juice
The imagination of the awful smell associated with raw garlic in the mouth may not be very welcoming but when you remember just how much pain you are feeling, then you will consider this option. Crush the onion and garlic together and try to extract the juice thereof. Put a drop of that juice on the affected tooth or just drink it. If you are strong enough you can also chew the onion and garlic and then take some honey to get rid of the vomiting feeling.
5. Olive Oil
Take a cotton cloth and dip it in olive oil, place the cloth on the affected tooth. This oil soothes away the pain and when used more often cures it completely.
Alcohol is also a very helpful ingredient in canal pain relief. Gargle some alcoholic beverage in your mouth and hold it there for some minutes and soon the pain will be cured. You can also drink it in small amounts for an even more effective result. You can also use mouthwash that contains alcohol in it.
7. Use of an Ice Pack
The use of an ice pack is an effective remedy that has been known to work very well in pain relief. Place an ice pack on the affected area and apply it topically around it to soothe and clear the pain.
8. Use Pillow Elevation
Pillow elevation helps reduce and stop bleeding from the affected area. It also lightens pain on the gum around nerve throbbing. Place the pillow in a way that your head will be comfortably elevated on your bed before going to sleep.
9. Eating Soft Foods
After a root canal treatment, the tooth is usually very sensitive and painful so it’s always advisable to eat foods that will not put a lot pressure on the affected tooth. Avoid hard and crunchy foods that may cause irritation.
10. The Orajel Remedy
Medics know Oraje Remedy as the discomfort reliever of the root canal pain. It does not just numb the gums, and the inflamed tissues. It ensures proper treatment of the root canal, killing the pain and leaving no room for occurrence of pain again.
11. Use of Tobacco
As dumb as it may sound, it really works. Put some tobacco in your mouth and wet it with a bit of saliva until you taste the menthol, add very little warm water and swish it around your mouth for a minute or so then spit it out. After a few minutes the pain will be gone, rinse your mouth with clean water.
12. Avoid Flour Products
Avoid bread, cakes and other flour products as these cause tooth infections within minutes. This eventually will increase the canal pain. As much as possible temporarily limit grain intake until the canal pain is no more.
13. Yellow Butter Remedy
Very yellow butter and more preferably raw butter is also very useful for canal pain relief, eat it in plenty to facilitate the healing after a canal treatment. Also eat a lot of quality protein found in raw fish like sashimi or raw beef like steak tartar.
14. Putting Emphasis on Liquid Diet
During that time when you have a tooth ache, as much as possible, it is advisable to stick to an all liquid diet for several days because the solid foods may make the cause even more decay to your tooth. You can take juices, milk and even porridge. Avoid very cold juices as it cause more decay and make the tooth more sensitive.
It is important to note that root canal pains are experiences that can blow your head off as they are ordeal and at that time any help is always welcome which sometimes may encourage even misguided advise that may further worsen the situation. We do not want that and since these remedies are simple and easy to follow, they have been known to work extremely well, use them instead. In addition, you should also take some precautions that will prevent the re-occurrence of root canal or better still help you to never have to experience root canal.
These include keeping a proper oral hygiene by brushing your teeth after every meal, avoid sugary stuff like sweets and always make sure to rinse your mouth with clean water after taking anything that has sugar. This will prevent tooth decays. Always remove food left in mouth after eating. By observing these measures, you may not have to worry about a root canal pain but if it has already happened, still observe them to avoid worsening the situation.
Dos and Don’ts of Root Canal Treatment
- You should take your doctor’s prescribed treatment prior to actual treatment.
- Never anticipate pain during a root canal treatment. Be calm, composed and relaxed instead.
- Be ready to go for some hours without food, or alternatively, prepare accordingly and only take the treatment when you are sure you are ready for it.
- Avoid very cold beverages during the treatment
- It is important to completely keep off very hot beverages during this treatment.
- Always contact your dental office in case of a dental emergency or in the case where you need immediate assistance.
- You can use your normal brush to do your tooth canal.
- Eat healthy soft foods during the course of this treatment.
- Do ensure that you go for regular checkup of the treated teeth.
- Try seeking medical advice from time to time. Your dentists will be able to advise you accordingly from time to time every time you go to seek their help.
- Do have radiography done on fractured or discolored tooth.
- Seek medical help if you notice any of your teeth wearing out.
- Make sure you get the best radiograph before you take any of the many available teeth restorative treatment.
- Do not skip your tablets. This applies even when you are not feeling any sort of pain.
- Do not use hard foods during the treatment.
- Do not meddle your root canal with the tongue. Wait until the treatment is complete then do the meddling if you really have to.
- Do not use sticks like toothpick on your root canal during the treatment. You are going to get hurt unnecessarily.
- Never assume minor injuries. Seek immediate attention before anything can go wrong. You must always obtain a radiograph the soonest time possible.