We have all suffered through bouts of inferiority issues on seeing actors and celebrities, flipping their long, lustrous mane on screen. Even if you do give in and purchase varieties of different hair products, even the very expensive ones may not cater to your hair’s unique requirements. Some of these products may end up damaging your healthy hair, rather than helping it grow longer. Why not try a few natural solutions that have successfully established their effectiveness over the years? After all, our mothers and grandmothers did have longer hair than us. Instead of sitting at salons for hours, undergoing various treatment options, let us try some tested home remedies to help your hair grow longer as quickly as possible.
The 10 best home remedies for faster hair growth
There are a number of home remedies that target your hair’s growth rate. They not only help boost your hair’s growing potential, but also aid in maintaining their overall health and shine. Here are a few easy procedures for you to look into to quickly grow out your hair.
- Maintain a healthy diet
It goes without saying that what you put into your body is reflected through you appearance. Your diet should constitute of balanced portions of foods rich in important vitamins and minerals, especially green, leafy veggies. Also, drink lots of water throughout the day. Walnuts, fish and other foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids are extremely beneficial to hair growth. Lack of proper nutrition can have harmful effects on your hair.
- Egg mask
Eggs are used throughout the globe for addressing various hair problems. It is a major source of protein, which your hair requires for it to grow. Its fatty acid reserves are also important to strengthen and lengthen your hair. Eggs also contain considerable amounts of iodine, sulfur, iron, selenium, zinc and phosphorus- all of which are good for your hair.
- Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and honey to one egg white.
- Blend the mixture thoroughly and apply it liberally all over your hair.
- After about 20 minutes, rinse it off thoroughly and follow it up with a shampoo session.
- Massage your scalp regularly
Your scalp has innumerable blood vessels, just like every other part of your body. Massaging it frequently and regularly helps promote the flow of blood to the scalp, which provides the required stimulation to the hair follicles. Hot oil remedies help condition your hair deeply and keep it strong and healthy.
- Apply the oil on your hair while it is still warm.
- Use your finger tips to gently massage it into your hair in a circular manner for about 5 to 10 minutes. Proper massaging helps the oil easily penetrate the hair strands.
- Remember to rinse the oil off properly.
- Aloe Vera
You may have heard aloe being used for various skin treatments. However, not many know that aloe is also very good for your hair. It helps fasten up your hair growth and prevents hair fall and dandruff problems.
- Mix aloe gel and a trickle of lemon juice together. Equal amounts of coconut juice or wheat germ oil can also be used as substitutes for lemon juice.
- Apply it on your head and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
- Shampoo the mix off.
- Drinking aloe juice also helps with your hair problems.
- Henna packs
Henna has been touted as one of the very best treatment options for your hair, since the practice of Ayurveda came into being in India. It is a natural, herb-based hair conditioner, especially beneficial for dry hair. Its protein-rich characteristic is just what you hair needs to speed up its growth.
- Mix two tablespoons of powdered henna with about a cup of yogurt.
- Let the mixture rest for about two hours, and, if possible, overnight.
- Apply the mixture and wash it off with a mild shampoo after about an hour or so.
- Cayenne pepper
Cayenne pepper is a source of the chemical, Capsaicin. When Capsaicin is applied on your scalp, it stimulates the nerves for better blood circulation, which, in turn, leads to an improvement in your hair’s growth rate. This is what makes cayenne pepper an essential ingredient of your hair pack.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of powdered cayenne with 2 teaspoons of olive oil.
- Apply it all over the scalp, liberally, and rinse off after a while.
- Green tea
Green tea is a powerful source of antioxidants. They put up a good fight against hair fall and hence, help you quickly get that waist-long hair you desire. Moreover, it makes your hair stronger and healthier.
- Drench your hair with warm (not hot) green tea.
- Let it dry for an hour.
- Rinse thoroughly using cool waters to close up the open pores.
- Avocado and Coconut Oil
A mixture of coconut oil and avocado can go a really long way in making your hair movie-star quality. The mixture can help with a host of hair-related problems like slow or stunted growth of hair, flaking or dandruff issues, dryness and sun protection.
- Heat up some coconut oil.
- Massage your hair from roots to tips with the coconut oil and use the avocado oil only on the tips.
- Let your hair be for around 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with a mild shampoo.
- Bananas and Honey
Bananas and honey are a great source of natural hair conditioners. The mixture penetrates deep into your hair to give you soft, smooth hair. This conditioning keeps your hair healthy and thus helps it to grow faster.
- Add 1 tablespoon honey to a mashed banana.
- Apply the mixture.
- Rinse off after an hour.
- Indian Gooseberry (Amla)
Amlas are packed with significant quantities of Vitamin C and antioxidants, which are great for hair growth.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of powdered or juiced amla with 2 teaspoons of lime juice.
- Apply it on your scalp and let it rest.
- Once it dries, rinse it off thoroughly with warm water.
Fenugreek is very commonly used in treating hair fall problems and helps add to the hair’s growth potential. It helps lengthen your hair without changing its natural color.
- Add 2 teaspoons of coconut milk to 1 teaspoon of fenugreek paste.
- Let it rest on your scalp for half an hour.
- Wash it off using a mild shampoo.
The hibiscus flower is such an important solution for hair problems that it is commonly known as the “flower of hair care”.
- Apply a paste of the hibiscus flower and coconut oil on your scalp.
- Wash it off thoroughly.
How to get longer hair, faster?
- Stay away from unhealthy foods and drink lots of water.
- Avoid stress as much as possible.
- Trim the ends of your hair to eliminate splits and stimulate faster hair growth.
- Use hair styling products rarely. The chemicals and heat are detrimental to your hair’s health.
- Dirty hair is more prone to hair fall. Clean your hair with a good shampoo.
- Regularly oil and condition your tresses.
- Keep your hair away from the sun by using hats or scarves.